Skip to main content

Have you or a loved one been in a car accident? Do you find yourself wondering, “now what?” So many things need to happen following a car accident. You will be dealing with insurance companies, police, and repair shops. And if you or your loved one have been injured in an accident, there will be all of these things and more, including medical expenses and lost wages.  If a loved one has lost their life that can compound the situation altogether.  Before tackling these tasks alone, the first thing you need to consider is hiring a car accident attorney. A car accident lawyer can help you navigate the process from start to finish. To begin fighting for compensation, you or your attorney needs to access your car accident report.

What do I Need to Access My Accident Report in Lee County?

Car accident reports in Florida are no longer public records for up to 60 days after the report is filed.  If you are requesting a copy of your car accident report within those 60 days, you are required to present credentials or identification to get access to the requested car accident report. Generally speaking, if you are a victim in a car accident, you should be able to get access to your report using your driver’s license. However, you may also be required to submit a sworn statement if you are using the statewide Florida Crash Portal to get your information.

For other individuals that may need access, accepted identification or credentials include:

  • Driver’s License or government-issued photo ID
  • Signed and notarized letter from an involved party authorizing the pick up of the accident report on their behalf
  • Letter from an attorney that represents the party involved in the accident
  • Formal written request from an insurance company on their letterhead
  • Written proof demonstrating the party is under contract with an insurer for the accident report requested.
  • State or Federal credentials or licenses
  • As approved by a supervisor in the Records Section

When Can I Access My Accident in Lee County?

As of June 5, 2001, car accident reports are no longer public record in the state of Florida or Lee County for up to 60 days after the report is filed.  The car accident report, however, is made available to the following:

  • All parties involved
  • Their legal representatives
  • Their licensed insurance agents
  • Their insurers
  • Persons under contract with such insurer to provide claims or underwriting information
  • Prosecutorial authorities
  • Radio and television stations licensed by the FCC
  • Newspapers qualified to publish legal notices (with exceptions, per Florida law)
  • State and Federal agencies are authorized to have access to such reports by the provision of the law.

The intent of this regulation is to protect the privacy of those involved in the vehicle crash and reduce solicitations from car accident lawyers.

Ways to Get Your Accident Report for a Crash that Happened in Lee County

If you have been involved in a car accident in Bonita Springs, Cape Coral, Estero, Fort Myers/Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel or any other Lee County city, there could be a few different ways to access your accident report within the 60 day window. Depending on the law enforcement agency that responded to your car accident, you could have more than one way to get the information that you need.

Florida Crash PortalDue to Florida regulations, the state operates a centralized database of crash reports. Generally speaking, for any car accident that occurs in Florida, you should be able to use the Florida Crash Portal to access your car accident report with the 60-day window. This is the main car accident report website for the Florida Highway Patrol. However, Florida also requires all local law enforcement to submit a full report within 10 days to the portal in the following scenarios:

  • A car accident involving a personal injury or death
  • A crash involving a hit and run
  • An auto accident in which a DUI violation is suspected
  • When a crash leaves a vehicle inoperable requiring a tow truck
  • A commercial vehicle or truck accident
  • An accident that results in damages to vehicles or personal property valued at $500 or more

These accident reports are available online. The Florida Crash Portal charges $10.00 for each report and a $2.00 transaction charge for each online transaction.

There are some cases where your car accident may not qualify for the Florida Crash Portal, or you may need more evidence or records from the responding law enforcement agency. Each law enforcement agency’s records request process is slightly different. You can use these Quick Links below to get more information on accessing local law enforcement records or accident reports.

Lee County Sheriff’s OfficeIf the responding agency for your car accident was the Lee County Sheriff’s Department, you have several options.  You can use their online portal to request your accident report.  Victims may also utilize their email option and have their report emailed to you in most cases. If you are the victim, include a copy of your government-issued ID to have any fee waived.  Or you may request your accident report in person from the Lee County Sheriff’s office headquarters. For in-person requests:

Central Records at LCSD Headquarters

14750 Six Mile Cypress

Ft. Myers, Florida 33912

Or call Central Records Division at 239-477-1350

There is a $0.15 per page copy charge. The fee is waived for victims of a crime or persons involved in a crash.  Your report can be picked up in person at the LCSD Headquarters or payment can be mailed in along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

  • Find out more about getting accident reports from LCSD


Cape Coral Police DepartmentIf the wreck you were involved in happened in the city of Cape Coral, you can obtain your report by phone or in person.  Be sure to have your case number/report number and personal information available to obtain your accident report.

Cape Coral Police Department

1100 Cultural Park Boulevard

Cape Coral, FL 33990

Hours: Mon-Fri. 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.


  • Find out more information about getting accident reports from CCPD


Sanibel –  For car accidents handled by the city of Sanibel Police Department, accident reports may be obtained either in person or by phone. A nominal fee does apply and you must have your report number available at the time of the request.

Sanibel Police Department

800 Dunlop Road

Sanibel, FL 33957

Hours: Mon-Fri. 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.


  • Find out more information about getting your accident report from SPD


Car accidents can be overwhelming from the beginning. Sean King Law is experienced in assisting victims of Florida car accidents. Today’s economy has made it more difficult than ever for accident victims to fight claims independently. We want to ensure that every accident victim can receive compensation. We, at King Law, understand that this process is challenging. We can provide creative and innovative ways to achieve your goal. For questions regarding your next steps, contact Sean King Law.



For years, King Law has been known for tireless dedication to serving those who have suffered a personal injury or wrongful death of a family member due to someone else’s neglect.  We pride ourselves on each client receiving the culmination of our legal experience, our professionalism, and our commitment to each case in determining their course of action. King Law, champions for the injured. Contact us today!


13410 Parker Commons Blvd.

Suite 101C

Ft. Myers, FL 33912

3757 Tamiami Trail North

Naples, FL 34103